UFC unveils exciting slate of summer fights

The lineup is stacked for the UFC’s Summer of 2017, but even as a host of intriguing matchups were announced in Dallas by UFC commentator Jon Anik on Friday, from the time he said that the long-awaited rematch between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones was on for UFC 214 on Jul. 29, it was clear that the two light heavyweight stars were going to steal the spotlight.And they did, even having an altercation before taking the stage at American Airlines Center and continuing their verbal battle.“I’m so happy to be back,” said Jones, who has been on suspension since July of last year fo … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

Former champ Dos Santos planning to go to war to retrieve title at UFC 211

Don’t miss out: Click here for UFC 211 PPV ordering informationMore than four years have passed – almost a generation in the fight game – since Junior Dos Santos stood atop the heavyweight mountain.During Dos Santos’s reign, names like Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey hadn’t even broken onto the scene in the UFC.The heavyweight title challenger is a throwback fighter and a man who carries a nation with him into battle with current champion Stipe Miocic Saturday night in Dallas on Pay Per View.RELATED: Watch UFC 211 Open Workout highlights
&nbsp … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

Nelson vs. Ponzinibbio to headline Glasgow event

After earning his last five victories by submission, welterweight contender Gunnar Nelson will be seeking another spectacular finish on July 16 when he battles surging Argentinean standout Santiago Ponzinibbio in the main event of UFC Fight Night at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland.Also announced Friday was the co-main event for this highly-anticipated event, as Scotland’s own Joanne Calderwood faces unbeaten Cynthia Calvillo in a strawweight matchup.Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: GLASGOW go on sale to the general public on Friday, June 2 at 10:00 a.m. BST via Ticketmaster.Fight Club memb … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

UFC returns to Mexico City in August

The UFC’s road is winding back toward Mexico’s capital.

The company will host a UFC Fight Night event on Saturday, Aug. 5, at Arena Ciudad de Mexico, it was announced Thursday. Indisudcito.com initially broke the news on the card.

This marks the fourth time the UFC will put on a card in Mexico City, with all four shows coming in the past four years. In the most noteworthy of the events, Fabricio Werdum won the UFC heavyweight title from Cain Velasquez in the main event of UFC 188 in June, 2015.

No bouts have been announced yet for the card.

Source: mmafighting

Georges St-Pierre is ‘sad’, still processing White’s comments about calling off Michael Bisping fight

Georges St-Pierre’s UFC return is up in the air now after Dana White cancelled his fight with Michael Bisping, and he’s sad about it. The UFC’s plans for the middleweight division were changed up in a big way last night when Dana White called off a title bout between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping. GSP wanted the fight to take place “after October”, which was way too far away for Bisping and a lot of other UFC middleweights. They all voiced their issues with the situation, and it seems that White listened and acted appropriately, saying Bisping’s next fight will be against number-one contender Yoel Romero instead.
St-Pierre hasn’t said anything about it on social media since White made the announcement, but he is in Toronto tonight for a Bud Light Living event. Sportsnet’s Mike Johnston was able to speak to him there and get his thoughts on White nixing his fight with Bisping:

Just sat down with Georges St-Pierre. He says it’s “sad” and still processing what Dana White said about his fight with @Bisping being off.— Mike Johnston (@MikeyJ_MMA) May 11, 2017

Johnston also noted GSP’s current stature, and St-Pierre shared who he thinks the best pound-for-pound fighter ever is:

By the way, GSP is waaay bigger than he was back when he was competing regularly at welterweight. No Chuck Liddell muscle gut though.— Mike Johnston (@MikeyJ_MMA) May 12, 2017

Georges St-Pierre thinks @MightyMouseUFC is “pound-for-pound the best of all time.”— Mike Johnston (@MikeyJ_MMA) May 12, 2017

It’s unclear what will happen with St-Pierre at this point – will he still fight near the end of the year? If he does, will it be at 185? Could they book him against Anderson Silva instead? If Bisping beats Romero, would they go back to that bout?
Somewhat surprisingly, Bisping hasn’t commented publicly on the change yet. But I’m sure that will change soon enough though.
Source: bloody

Georges St-Pierre reacts to Dana White’s threat to cancel Michael Bisping fight

DALLAS — The Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre fight might be on the ropes.

On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White told Fox Sports Australia that he was scrapping the planned middleweight title fight.

“I made this GSP fight,” he told “UFC Fight Week.” “We did a press conference. The thing was supposed to happen in July. Michael Bisping is going to have to defend his title now. We’re not waiting for GSP.”

White’s threat comes on the heels of St-Pierre reiterating last week that he was ready and willing to fight Bisping beginning in October.

When the UFC announced the fight in March, their hope was to book it as the main event of UFC 213 on July 8. However, St-Pierre said right away, and multiple times afterwards, that he would not be ready to fight then and maintained he’d only be willing to return to action by the end of the year. Still, the UFC has continued to try to book the fight for July.

St-Pierre told MMAFighting.com on Thursday night that he still wants the Bisping fight.

“I want to fight Bisping and I think Bisping wants to fight me,” he said. “I just learned the news. I don’t know what to say. It might be an emotional response by Dana or maybe it’s to put pressure on me.”

St-Pierre, who’s yet to be personally told the fight is officially off, added he understood why some of the top middleweight contenders have been frustrated with the whole situation.

“In this sport, among fighters, when one fighter gets an opportunity, it always leaves more fighters unhappy than happy.

“It’s the nature of a one-man sport. I’ve been there.”

During his appearance on Australian television, White said Yoel Romero, considered the consensus No. 1 contender, would fight Bisping next. However, according to multiple sources, a Bisping vs. Romero fight has not been finalized just yet.

Bisping has also made it abundantly clear over the past two months that he is most interested in fighting St-Pierre next.

Source: mmafighting