Cormier on UFC 210 poster: ‘How many favors did Rumble have to call in to make this sh-t happen?’

Daniel Cormier is not happy with how the official UFC 210 poster turned out. On April 8th, Daniel Cormier will be defending his light heavyweight title in a rematch against Anthony Johnson. But as early as now, he already holds complaints on the pre-fight promotional materials.
“DC” in particular was not happy about being his photo being at the lower half at the foreground of the poster, while the photo of “Rumble” occupied the larger space at the background. He took out his annoyance in a recent Instagram post.

What is this? How many favors did Rumble have to call in to make this shit happen? Just remember last time the challenger looked so big on the poster RDA beat cowboy in one round. #andstill @ufc A post shared by Daniel “DC” Cormier (@dc_mma) on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:19am PST

“What is this? How many favors did Rumble have to call in to make this s–t happen? Just remember last time the challenger looked so big on the poster RDA beat cowboy in one round.”
Cormier was referring to the similar treatment given to the pre-fight promo poster for the lightweight title rematch between Rafael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone in December 2015.
Both fighters are coming off victories as they enter their rematch, with Cormier winning against Anderson Silva at UFC 200 last July via decision. Johnson, on the other hand, knocked out Glover Teixeira in the first round at UFC 202 a month later.
UFC 210 will take place at the KeyBank Center in Buffalo, New York. It will be co-headlined by a top contender middleweight fight between former champion Chris Weidman and Gegard Mousasi.
Source: bloody

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On this week’s show, the panel will discuss the UFC 209 aftermath, Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson’s future, GSP vs. Bisping, Demian Maia and Yoel Romero not getting title shots and much more.

Watch “The MMA Beat” live today at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT / 6 p.m. BST.

Subscribe to the show on iTunes: audiovideo or Soundcloud here. Stream it on Stitcher here.

Music courtesy of APM Music.

Source: mmafighting

[GRAPHIC Photo] David Haye’s ruptured achilles ‘felt like I stepped on a bear trap’

David Haye says his achilles injury felt like he stepped on a bear trap. It actually looked worse than that. David Haye fought WBC cruiserweight champ Tony Bellew this past weekend at the O2 Arena in London. After a pretty even match up earlier on, Haye sustained an achilles injury, and was subsequently knocked down. He continued to fight for 5 rounds, until his cornermen eventually threw in the towel and stopped the fight in the 11th.
“It was a strange situation – I was getting into my flow and it felt like I stepped on a bear trap,” Haye told BBC.
“I knew it was completely ruptured – the pain was terrible, when I put my foot down I could hear it crunching, but the adrenaline is so high when you’re fighting you can conjure up the energy from somewhere to keep going.
Haye had surgery on the injury, and while he did make a bear trap comparison, his achilles actually looked far worse. Check out the photo below courtesy of the same BBC interviewer, but be warned in advance that it very graphic.

*WARNING, GRAPHIC IMAGE*The top pic is a healthy achilles. The bottom is @mrdavidhaye ‘s ‘spaghetti junction’ pre-surgery. 5 rounds on that. pic.twitter.com/cP2vsBIXeB— Natalie Pirks (@Natpirks) March 8, 2017

Source: bloody

UFC 212 card adds three bouts

Three bouts have been added to the UFC 212 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with a mix of veterans and rising stars taking to the Octagon on June 3.In middleweight action, former TUF Brazil winner Antonio Carlos Junior will likely get the opportunity to show off his ground game against fellow jiu-jitsu ace Eric Spicely.In his first bout since a TKO victory over Manvel Gamburyan in November, veteran Brazilian battler Johnny Eduardo returns to take on talented bantamweight prospect Matthew Lopez. And in flyweight action, Marco Beltran will face off against Octagon newcomer Deiveson Alcantara.UFC … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

Edgar to test Rodriguez at UFC 211

Fresh from his stirring stoppage of UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn in January, Mexican phenom Yair Rodriguez will look to take down another former UFC champion when he faces Frankie Edgar on the stacked UFC 211 card in Dallas on May 13.

 
//
In the UFC 211 main event at American Airlines Center, heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic defends his crown against Junior Dos Santos, and in the co-main event, Joanna Jedrzejczyk defends her strawweight title against Jessica Andrade.One of the UFC’s top rising stars, Rodriguez is unbeaten in six Octagon bouts thus far, with wins over Penn, Charle … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

UFC Unfiltered: Francis Ngannou and Fortaleza preview

Number 6 ranked UFC Heavyweight and rising star Francis Ngannou joins Jim and Matt in studio to discuss his dream of becoming a UFC champion, his life in Cameroon, being homeless in Paris, wanting to fight Cain Velsquez next, and the desire to become a complete fighter. First, the guys preview UFC Fight Night 106: Belfort vs. Gastelum, possible next matchups for Tony Ferguson, Michael Bisping’s comments on Woodley vs. Thompson 2, recently announced fights, and the results of the World MMA Awards 2017.Some of the highlights from Episode 76 of UFC Unfiltered include:Francis on using hi … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

Gastelum finally putting it all together before Fortaleza

Kelvin Gastelum was an unrefined lump of coal when he won the middleweight competition on Season 17 of The Ultimate Fighter and I mean that in the most flattering way possible.At the time, the Yuma, Arizona native was the youngest competitor in the history of the show at 21 years old. He’d fought five times before standing astride Dylan Andrews as the final two contestants to be picked from the cast of 14, getting by on his athleticism and instincts, drawing on his wrestling background and speed to turn back a host of regional level middleweights before making his way into the UFC.What … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

UFC Fortaleza – Fight by Fight

VITOR BELFORT VS KELVIN GASTELUMThe book on Vitor Belfort has never changed – if an opponent can survive the first round, then all bets are off. That scouting report may be even more accurate as Belfort approaches his 40th birthday in April. So can Kelvin Gastelum hold off the rush of “The Phenom” and patiently wait for his time to strike in rounds two through five? The answer depends on whether the former Ultimate Fighter winner has the fight maturity to avoid a brawl, pick his shots and make a late surge. If he can be patient, he may just secure the biggest win of his car … Read the Full Article Here
Source: ufc

Tony Ferguson says UFC gave him ‘less than half’ of contracted show money for UFC 209

Tony Ferguson alleges that the UFC paid him a lot less than he thought he was going to get, despite not fighting at UFC 209. There has already been plenty of confusion surrounding the aborted UFC interim lightweight title fight at UFC 209. When Khabib Nurmagomedov was forced out of the fight after a bad weight cut, many questions were brought up. Would they try to do the fight again soon? What happens with the interim title? Would Tony Ferguson be paid for showing up and making weight?
According to UFC president Dana White, the last question was answered in the affirmative. Sort of. He initially said “we’ve never done that” when asked at the post-fight press conference if Ferguson received his show money for the title fight. Eventually he did say that Ferguson was indeed paid.
But according to Ferguson, it wasn’t nearly as much as he was expecting. El Cucuy told MMA Junkie that he received ‘less than half’ of his $250,000 show money for the title fight.
“I did everything in my power that I could to show up on that scale, and that’s what I thought we were going to do. That’s why you call it show money. And to every fan that’s out there in the world, (UFC President) Dana (White), he said they cut me out a check, and I didn’t get a check, and then this morning I got my wire, and I’m looking at it and I’m like, ‘What the frick, man?’ I’m like, ‘Seriously?’”
It gets weirder though. According to the article, an anonymous UFC official told them that Ferguson had a long meeting with White and was told multiple times how much he was going to get. The info was also relayed to his manager. The reason it was less was due to that salary being tied to a title fight that wasn’t happening.
For his part, Ferguson had a different view of the meeting. He thought he was getting $250,000, and says the amount he got barely covered his training expenses. He was offered a last-minute fight with Michael Johnson, but at a much lower base pay than the title fight, so he declined it.
He then aimed his ire directly at the UFC president:
“I’m not taking a pay cut,” Ferguson said. “Why would I want to take a pay cut? If you give me what I originally showed up for, (expletive) yeah, I’ll give you a badass fight. We’ll save this card.
“He said, ‘We budget for these fights.’ Those are his exact words. So then you had it, but you don’t want to fork it over. That’s like, all right … How am I supposed to like the company I work for if I’m short-changing me? He was telling me he was taking a loss from this, and I’ll bet you he’s somewhere out on his boat, or doing something on his jet, laying $250,000 down on a craps table.”
This isn’t the fin irst time the UFC and Ferguson have butted heads over money. White stated back in December that the fight wasn’t going to happen due to Ferguson’s salary demands, and Khabib even offered to give Ferguson $200,000 to take the bout. Eventually they came to terms, but it’s still a mess apparently.
Source: bloody

Ronda Rousey voices support for ‘Day Without a Woman’ movement on International Woman’s Day

Ronda Rousey may not be in the cage, but her voice can still be heard as an advocate for women’s rights on social media. Former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey gained a huge following during her time in the UFC, and she’s putting her influence to work in other ways now that she has apparently stepped away from the sport for good. Rousey, an advocate of many causes, took to her Instagram to voice support for the ‘A Day Without A Woman’ movement, which is taking place on International Women’s Day:

#DayWithoutaWoman #resist A post shared by rondarousey (@rondarousey) on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:15am PST

The movement, which was a collective event across the United States that involved women wearing red in solidarity while taking the day off from work and not shopping at large businesses, has been symbolized by the above image in Rousey’s post, which is described in this UPI article:
“One of the most popular spots in New York City on Wednesday was a bronze statue in the Financial District depicting a fearless young girl — hands on her hips and a valiant expression on her face — standing in the way of the iconic Charging Bull sculpture near the New York Stock Exchange.
A plaque in front of the brave girl says, ‘SHE makes a difference.’”
Rousey was one of the highest-paid female athletes in the world 2016, earning nearly 10 million dollars according to Business Insider.
Source: bloody