Diaz says UFC tried to bump him from movie trailer in favor of McGregor or St-Pierre

Nate Diaz thinks that the UFC isn’t interested in using him as much as guys like Conor McGregor or Georges St-Pierre. It’s no secret to UFC fans that the Diaz brothers do things in their own unique way. Both Nick and Nate Diaz always deliver in the cage, but Dana White has made no secret of the fact that it’s not easy to actually get them into it sometimes. In Nate’s case, he wants to get paid and he wants relevant fights. His issues with the UFC run deep, but one recent example from a USA Today article illustrates part of the reason he gets so frustrated.
According to Nate, he got hooked up with a promotional job for the movie Fist Fight, starring Charlie Day and Ice Cube. He sparred with Day in a promo in a recorder trailer. But the UFC didn’t like that and allegedly wanted to go in a different direction:
“The UFC is like, ‘We’re thinking GSP or Conor McGregor,’ ” Diaz said. “My guy said, ‘Don’t worry, we’re going to use Nate.’ They came back to say, ‘We really think you should use GSP or Conor.’
“I don’t know what it is. I’m not a white boy with blue eyes or great looking, I talk all (messed) up. I’m not the look they’re going for, but this is fighting. You don’t go for a look. You go for the baddest that’s out there. This is an example of my whole career.”
In his mind, it encapsulates why he’s not fully behind the brand – because they’re not fully behind him:
“They try to shut us down. With Conor, they made a star out of him. They have never done that for me. I’m still here after all the holding back I’ve been through. They’ve never put my name on a pedestal. If they had my back the whole way, I’d be like, ‘UFC, all day, don’t be dissing my company like that,’ but why would I do that for a company that does this?”
Diaz still doesn’t have a fight booked, despite two bouts with McGregor that were among the highest-selling PPVs in company history in 2016.
Source: bloody

Tony Ferguson on not getting full show money, not wanting to take pay cut vs. Michael Johnson

It wasn’t that Tony Ferguson didn’t want to fight Michael Johnson at UFC 209.

Johnson, after all, handed Ferguson his last loss back in 2012. It’s Ferguson’s only blemish in his past 16 fights, and like any fighter worth his salt, the top lightweight contender longs to avenge his defeats.

“I wanted to whoop Michael Johnson’s ass and avenge my loss,” Ferguson said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

But there was a big catch which kept the fight, which would have been a last-minute replacement matchup after Khabib Nurmagomedov had to pull out of his his planned co-main event with Ferguson on Friday, from happening.

The UFC wanted to make a significant cut in Ferguson’s contracted pay, and Ferguson wasn’t having any of it.

“I can’t take a pay cut for no title,” Ferguson said. “It made absolutely zero sense. I begged them to pay my fairly to whup his ass but they refused.”

Ferguson had been slated to make $250,000 to show for the fight, with a $250,000 win bonus attached. While “El Cucuy” declined to place a specific dollar figure on how much of a pay cut they asked for him to fight Johnson, his words indicated it was a steep request.

“It wasn’t what I wanted,” Ferguson said. “They wanted to give me something but I wanted my show money, I felt like at least i deserved that. The day before, to take a huge pay cut, more than probably half. It just, it’s frustrating, dude.”

So Ferguson declined to take the fight, hoping to get his show money. But he didn’t receive that, either. Ferguson told MMAjunkie in an interview published Wednesday that the UFC gave him less than half of the $250,000 he would have made if he fought Nurmagomedov. Ferguson would have also made another $250,000 if he won the fight.

“It was like a slap to the face,” Ferguson told MMAjunkie. “My training expenses were a lot larger than any other fight I’ve ever done because this was supposed to be the biggest fight of my career. So now I’m sitting here, and it’s like, what is my worth to the UFC? Like, do I not fight enough? Do I not bleed enough for them? It’s going through my head right now, because I didn’t lose.

“I did everything in my power that I could to show up on that scale, and that’s what I thought we were going to do. That’s why you call it show money. And to every fan that’s out there in the world, (UFC President) Dana (White), he said they cut me out a check, and I didn’t get a check, and then this morning I got my wire, and I’m looking at it and I’m like, ‘What the frick, man?’ I’m like, ‘Seriously?’”

A UFC official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told MMA Fighting that Ferguson received in the six figures almost double the standard show money for fighters. The UFC is not contractually obligated to pay a fighter who does not fight, but has given fighters their show money in the past. The official said UFC brass wanted to make sure Ferguson was compensated in some way. This was a unique situation, because the UFC lost an interim title fight and a co-main event of a pay per view.

Ferguson, though, didn’t seem to come out of the ordeal too satisfied.

“I’ll fight anybody as long as not as I’m not punished for something that somebody else has not shown up to do,” Ferguson said on The MMA Hour. “I did everything on my end, showed up, did media obligations, showed up on the scales. I did everything, I was ready, dude.”

In the wake of everything that went down, Ferguson was left to ponder what often seems like the capriciousness of the fight business.

“Like all fighters, I budgeted my entire camp off my show money,” Ferguson said. “My wife works, I’m saving my money to buy a home, I’m remodeling it, which is for my absolute purpose for the career. This fight was going to have enough to afford this house, my payments for the year, the remodeling job for my home gym so I can raise my son. Yet here I am, looking at my empty space on the wall with no belt and I’m still trying to stay as humble as possible and professional. It’s hard.”

Source: mmafighting

UFC Fortaleza free full fight video: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold

Before Vitor Belfort fights Kelvin Gastelum in the UFC Fortaleza main event, check out Vitor’s spinning kick finish of Luke Rockhold. Vitor Belfort will look to end his two-fight losing skid in this Saturday’s UFC Fortaleza main event against Kelvin Gastelum. “The Phenom” was TKO’d by both Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi in 2016, and at nearly 40 years of age, we’re witnessing the twilight of Vitor’s career.
In the meantime, let’s remember TRT-era Vitor Belfort. That guy combined the best violence of a young Vitor, but with TRT to help provide that youthfulness in his late 30s. The UFC’s free fight video for Vitor is his May 2013 win over Luke Rockhold, who was making his Octagon debut after reigning as Strikeforce’s middleweight champion. Belfort’s spinning kick and punches put Rockhold away just halfway through round 1, sending the Brazilian crowd into an absolute frenzy. You can watch the video at the top of the page.
Here’s Tim Burke’s play-by-play of the fight:
Round 1 – Belfort was circling away early, and Luke slipped on a kick. Belfort threw a spinning kick, never seen that before. Rockhold had a takedown stuffed, and Belfort touched him up with a few punches. Rockhold landed a few kicks, and just avoided a counterpunch from Vitor. Rockhold landed a left. Belfort knocked him out with a spinning kick! Badr Hari! OH MY GOD! THAT WAS INSANE! I literally cannot fathom what my eyes just saw! Vitor Belfort defeated Luke Rockhold by knockout (kick/punches), 2:32 of round 1
And here’s the BE community’s reaction to the finish:

UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum airs live on Fox Sports 1 from Fortaleza, Brazil on March 11th, with a main card start time of 10 PM ET/7 PM PT.
Source: bloody