Robert Whittaker releases statement, apologizes to fans for UFC 221 withdrawal

Robert Whittaker is devastated with having to pull out of his interim title bout against Luke Rockhold. Yesterday, it was announced that UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker had been forced to withdraw from his title bout with Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 due to an undisclosed injury.
‘The Reaper’ told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto that he is ‘beyond disappointed’ that he won’t get the chance to fight Rockhold on home soil in Perth, Australia and the top-ranked middleweight followed up with a statement on social media.
Whittaker didn’t reveal the specifics of his injury but told fans that he had been ruled ‘medically unable’ to compete at next month’s Australian pay-per-view.

I would like to apologize to all my supporters and fans of MMA for not being able to put on the show you deserve. I’ve been ruled medically unable to compete and wont be able to defend on home soil. This card meant so much to me and I’m devastated for not being able to fight. All I can do is focus on getting healthy to come back better than ever. All the best to Yoel and Luke for their fight and ill be waiting… A post shared by Robert Whittaker (@robwhittakermma) on Jan 13, 2018 at 12:34am PST

“I would like to apologize to all my supporters and fans of MMA for not being able to put on the show you deserve,” Whittaker posted on Instagram. “I’ve been ruled medically unable to compete and wont be able to defend on home soil. This card meant so much to me and I’m devastated for not being able to fight. All I can do is focus on getting healthy to come back better than ever. All the best to Yoel and Luke for their fight and ill be waiting…”
Yoel Romero, who lost to Whittaker at last Summer’s UFC 213 PPV, will step up as his replacement and challenge Rockhold for the interim strap at UFC 221. The event takes place next month, Feb. 11 at Perth Arena in Perth, Australia.
Source: bloody